1. What is society's attitude towards old people who demonstrate their love for each other in public?
2. Why does the poet contrast 'their grey hairs' and 'hair like pearls'?
3. Is 'pearls' a word traditionally used to describe hair? Why do you think the poet uses the word here?
4. Why do the children call their mother a 'silly old fool'?
5. What other words do you think the children might use to describe their mother's behaviour?
6. With a partner, prepare a short dialogue between the children and their mother commenting on the mother's relationship. Record your conversation and listen to it.